Taliban Suicide Attacks Kill At Least 48 Before Afghan Elections
Category: International
taliban-suicide-attacks-kill-at-least-48-before-afghan-elections_kuwait
Immigrate to Canada or Australia
Study In Abroad

At least 48 people have been killed and dozens more wounded in two separate attacks in Afghanistan - one at a campaign rally by President Ashraf Ghani and the other in the capital, Kabul. 

In the first blast on Tuesday, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle targeted the rally by Ghani, who is reported to be safe and unharmed.

The suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden motorcycle into the entrance of the venue hosting Ghani's rally.

At least 26 people were killed and more than 40 wounded in the attack, which was claimed by the Taliban, in Charikar, the capital of Parwan province, north of Kabul. 

Nasrat Rahimi, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said the death toll of 26 included four soldiers. 

Abdul Qasim Sangin, head of Parwan hospital, said children were among those killed and there were fears the number of victims could rise.

The president was present at the time of the explosion but is safe and unharmed, his campaign spokesman, Hamed Aziz, was quoted as saying by The Associated Press news agency. 

Second blast in Kabul
 

In a separate incident just hours later, another explosion went off near Kabul's Green Zone, where the defence ministry, US embassy and NATO headquarters are located. Taliban also claimed responsibility for the blast in the capital, saying it was also a suicide attack.

Rahimi, the Interior Ministry spokesman, said 22 people were killed and 38 wounded. 

Across Afghanistan, attacks have continued as the country prepares for a presidential election later this month.

The Taliban has warned that its fighters will intensify their campaign against the Afghan government and foreign forces to dissuade people from voting in the September 28 vote, when Ghani will bid for a second five-year term.

Last week, US President Donald Trump abruptly ended talks with the Taliban seeking to reach a deal on the withdrawal of thousands of US troops from Afghanistan in exchange for security guarantees from the group.

The talks, which did not include the Afghan government, were intended as a prelude to wider peace negotiations.

On Tuesday, a Taliban spokesman confirmed the group held talks with Iranian officials, a move confirmed by Iran's Foreign Ministry as well.

"In the framework of Iran's comprehensive consultations with all parties in Afghanistan, a Taliban political delegation visited our country recently to discuss the latest developments in Afghanistan with...Iranian officials," Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi was quoted as saying by state media.

Suhail Shaheeh, the Taliban spokesman, said on Twitter that "a four-member delegation travelled to Iran and met with senior officials of the foreign ministry on September 9".

Al Jazeera's Rob McBride, reporting from Kabul, said "everybody has been expecting since the peace talks broke down and the government reaffirmed its commitment to go ahead with this election, amid threats from the Taliban, that there was going to be an uptick in violence".

"The government seems determined to go through with this election and has committed more than 70,000 security forces across the country to ensure that it will go ahead," he added.

"But by its own admission, instead of the 7,000 polling stations that were opened five years ago during the last election, the number now is probably going to be around 5,000."

 

SOURCE : ALJAZEERA

18 Sep, 2019 1 161
Posted Comments
Popular News
moe-allows-travel-without-leave-permits-for-resident-teachers-staff_kuwait
MoE Allows Travel Without Leave Permits For Resident Teachers, Staff The Ministry of Education (MoE) said Monday that resident teachers and ministry staff can travel back to their respective countries without needing a leave permit. According to the ministry’s tw... March 24, 2020 2 7523 Category: Kuwait
indian-staff-nurse-passed-away-in-kuwait-mother-dies-on-hearing-news-of-sons-death_kuwait
Indian Staff Nurse Passed Away In Kuwait; Mother Dies On Hearing News Of Son's Death Indian staff nurse Renju Cyriac working at Adan Hospital passed away in Kuwait. He was 38 years old. Renju Cyriac hails from Mavelikkara in Kerala passed away Saturday morning due to heart attack. He ... March 28, 2020 0 5461 Category: Coronavirus
full-curfiew-is-an-available-option-on-table_kuwait
Full Curfiew Is An Available Option On Table MOH spokesperson Dr. Abdullah Al-Sanad says that issuing "Full Curfew" decision is an available option to limit the spread of the Novel #Coronavirus, but we hope that we do not reach to this... March 25, 2020 0 5375 Category: Coronavirus
coronavirus--after-initial-recovery-68yearold-philippines-national-dies-in-mumbai_kuwait
Coronavirus - After Initial Recovery 68-year-old Philippines National Dies In Mumbai A 68-year-old Philippines national who was being treated for acute renal failure and respiratory distress in Mumbai died on Sunday, officials said. He had initially tested positive for COVID-19 but... March 24, 2020 0 5126 Category: Coronavirus
banks-to-postpone-installment-premiums-and-credit-card-payments-without-interest_kuwait
Banks To Postpone Installment Premiums And Credit Card Payments Without Interest Kuwait banks have decided to postpone loan installments of Kuwaiti citizens and Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) for a period of six months and freezing of the interest payment during that time, Al... March 25, 2020 0 5034 Category: Coronavirus
bangladesh-and-sri-lanka-join-philippines-and-india-in-refusing-to-receive-their-nationals_kuwait
Bangladesh And Sri Lanka Join Philippines And India In Refusing To Receive Their Nationals Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have joined India and the Philippines by refusing to receive their nationals to be deported from Kuwait. A security source told Al-Rai newspaper that the Department of Se... March 24, 2020 1 4196 Category: Coronavirus
covid19-outbreak-in-kuwait-under-control--health-minister-_kuwait
COVID-19 Outbreak In Kuwait Under Control - Health Minister Minister of Health Sheikh Dr. Basel Al-Sabah has assured the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in Kuwait is manageable. The ministry is monitoring on daily basis some cases of those who had con... March 24, 2020 0 3961 Category: Coronavirus
8-deportees-among-350-egyptians-to-fly-tomorrow_kuwait
8 Deportees Among 350 Egyptians To Fly Tomorrow Sources at DGCA revealed that a second Egypt Air flight will carry 350 Egyptians to their country at 4pm on Wednesday, tomorrow. The sources stated that the scheduled flight will arrive tomorrow morni... March 24, 2020 0 3922 Category: Coronavirus
kuwait-social-affairs-ministry-launches-donation-campaign_kuwait
Kuwait Social Affairs Ministry Launches Donation Campaign The Kuwaiti Ministry of Social Affairs on Friday approved launching a campaign to raise donations on Saturday for fighting coronavirus. Up to 41 Kuwaiti charities will pariticpate in the campaign, pro... March 27, 2020 0 3606 Category: Coronavirus
17-new-covid19-cases-reported-in-kuwait-today--total-225_kuwait
17 New Covid19 Cases Reported In Kuwait Today - Total 225 Kuwait reported 17 new cases of the novel coronavirus, raising the total number of cases in the country to 225. ... March 27, 2020 0 3539 Category: Coronavirus
View All
Visit Visa
Visit Visa
Indemnity
Indemnity
Dependent Visa Driving License Project Visa Termination
Termination
Civil ID Crime News
Crime News